Saturday 6 June 2009

"It makes films like crimes, and directors like criminals."

I am almost ready to take an "Out of Order" sign and stick it over my life until my exam session is over.

Oh higher education, thou are a heartless bitch.

As you might have noticed, outfit posts have been non existent lately, mainly because I have been living in jeans and tee shirts and I almost succumbed to wearing my Converse this week. Gasp! But fear not, I promise things will start getting interesting soon. There might be a big surprise coming soon too so stick around for that ;)

*

As soon as my stress levels rise I end up not sleeping too much so I spend my nights watching a lot of movies. A movie I rewatched lately is Bernardo Bertolucci's The Dreamers. I adore this movie, even if it isn't my favorite of his (Last Tango in Paris and The Last Emperor come to mind here), but it is a beautiful and eloquent piece of cinema that will surely leave a mark on the viewer, be it of love or hate.

A story about three young people, who live vivaciously through their dreams and their movies, forgetting about the reality that exists right outside their door. Sexuality and sensuality are the means of expression for these dreamers. They are so little aware of what goes on in the world but talk and talk about philosophy and life without knowing much about it, ignoring the rip between their dream land and the world.

Being a Berlolucci film it is very voyeuristic, the intimacy of the characters being put on full display. I think the acting is superb from all three leads who make this movie what it is.

It as also visually stunning and I couldn't resist sharing with you all. If you haven't seen it, I hope you will soon. And if you have seen it, what do you think of it? Love, hate, indifference?

*

The Dreamers
by Bernardo Bertolucci
Cast: Michael Pitt, Louis Garrel, Eva Green


(click all photos for bigger)








































(all screencaps by me)

*

Song of the Day: Snow Patrol - How To Be Dead

24 comments:

indigotangerine said...

this looks a really interesting films. I'll have to put on my list of movies to see. Besides, who can resist Eva Green
-indigo

Masha said...

That looks like such a beautiful film! Definitely on my to-watch-over-summer list.

Exams have been killing me too, as you say, higher education is pretty much evil. Good luck with them!

Pull Down The Moon said...

I adore the film and i can't even explain why.
people i know would be disgusted by it but i do see such a beauty in it. and i do love how they live in their own surrounded by what they love, it's so beautiful.
it probably was a hard film to make, i mean in terms of being viewing it as disgusting or whatever, but i think it has the right amount of everything to have a good balance.

D. said...

Good luck with the exams! And as for Dreamers, I started watching it, but for some reason I stopped, I believe I was sleepy or sth. But I am interested, because it seemed weird enough to catch my attention, but I think all that philosophy talk from people who know so little about life will annoy me.

FASHION CHALET said...

I need to see House is it too gory though? I'm not keen on hospital TV/film, I get weak in the knees :( but I do love the actor. Have you seen the new Flight of the Phoenix. Great movie!! :)



x

Alice in vintageland said...

One of my favorite movies - just esquisite! Higher education can be a bitch you're so right:)

Winnie said...

I thnk I've only caught bits of this film...I must make an effort to watch it all the way through.

Also, jeans and converse are totally my favourite lazy day-can't be bothered outfits. Haha. Got to love them!

karl's sweet child said...

i've been searching for the last tango in paris dvd :(

pia said...

lovely screencaps! the dreamers is one of my favorite films! i just adore theo ;)

xoxo

pia

Hope Thompson said...

Oh I loooove The Dreamers!

Unknown said...

i'll be looking forward to watch the movie!!! :)

http://takeyoureyesoffme.blogspot.com

Kelly-Ann Maddox said...

Gorgeous. Really lovely collections of images from a stunning film.

Wanderlusting said...

I love this film - so heady, indulgent and free. And Eva Green, oh my, she can do no wrong in my eyes. Lucky boys.

Wanderlusting said...

PS - having a "three dress" giveaway on my blog :)

Ella Gregory said...

I need a red beret now.

IKS said...

such a sick and twisted movie, and i loved it the minute i saw it :) new look :)

IKS said...

and youre a sparkling redhead! me love! (the fact that im a redhead has nothing to do with it :)

boubou said...

Bonjour !
First time i come across your blog so i'm gonna visit it now :)
well if you wanna be inspired by my collages/Scrapbook come and take a cup of tea in Boubouteatime :)
a bientot !
Boubouteatime xx

Emz said...

That looks like an interesting movie! I love Eva Green =)

Alice X said...

WHOAAA. michael pitt looks like the child of brad and ange! seriously he has her lips and his other aspects. creepy.

Alice X said...

WHOAAA. michael pitt looks like the child of brad and ange! seriously he has her lips and his other aspects. creepy.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I think it's a film most people should watch, but not something I loved. Still, Eva Green is one of my favorite current actresses and she's so gorgeous in this.

Anonymous said...

Louis Garrel!

sorry, I am a recovering fan girl.

Syed said...

Yes, yes and more yes, I really did love the movie!! I keep meaning to buy the dvd, but can never find it instore :(