Wednesday 17 April 2013

"If I had a heart I could love you."

This Brings Back Memories
If there is one thing I am sure of in life is that you can't ever own too many R2D2 toys. Because How I Met Your Mother spoke an universal truth back when it was still a good show, and that truth is: "Ted, the only people in the universe who haven't seen Star Wars are the characters in Star Wars and that's cause they lived 'em, Ted. That's cause they lived the Star Wars!"

*

Two tv show recommendations for you dear readers who still read this blog:

Person of Interest: Because it's about a genius, billionaire king of Manhattan and his crazy amoral trigger man saving people and sometimes walking their dog. It's like if Bruce Wayne and Batman were two different people but with less daddy issues and more bullets to kneecaps. It is ridiculous and glorious!

Hannibal: Because it's Hannibal Lecter played by Mads Mikkelsen. Because it's Hades and Persephone all over again except it's not pomegranates this time, but murder.


*

A few years ago, when I was still in the teenager demographic, if you opened my closet and poked around you would have found a) a lot of band t-shirts that have served me as PJs in my college years and b) so much black that I would have bet you 50 bucks that you would have a hard time finding anything pastel in there and I would have won.

That's something my mom and I always had in common, so much so that we've been asked too many times to be a coincidence if we're in mourning. The answer always was a quizzically raised eyebrow and a "… No, we're actually pretty cheerful today. Why do you ask?" (Okay, truth be told, one time I was also wearing black lace gloves and pearls so I see how that could have sent the poor bastard into confusion.)


This Brings Back Memories

I know my taste for black was closely linked to my musical choices. I had Queen and Metallica thrust upon me when I was too young to know any other sort of music (thanks you, dear cousin!) and I spent the 90s enjoying The Cure, David Bowie, Nightwish, Sex Pistols, Joy Division and HIM so in my head nothing was cooler than that. I wanted to be rock n roll and I wanted to be glam rock and I wanted to be goth. (Can you tell I had some mild ADD then too? :))

Although I put away the XXL tshirts and the army boots (worn in the summer too because I was a teenager and I wanted to be Robert Smith or Brian Molko so bad), the black stayed strong and true. 

And my happiness grows and grows each day because my obsession has been coming back in full force these past few seasons. Now, I usually don't follow trends too closely but browsing magazines lately makes me smile ( a happy smile mixed with a "I liked X before they were mainstream" but I do try to keep my hipster tendencies in check, I promise) because I want to be able to go back in time and hug teenage me and tell her that she knew what she was doing when she dressed the way she did. She just did it a bit too early.

This Brings Back Memories

And can you blame me for wanting to be Goth and Rock'n'Roll and everything in between? I watched The Adams Family and Morticia Adams was my role model in life and love. I watched Tim Burton movies until I learned the lines by heart, and Bellatrix Lestrange fascinated me in a way that made the hair on my hands stand on end.

I discovered Edward Gorey and wanted to frame one of his drawing in my future house and watched Labyrinth and wanted that story to end with the young girl as the Queen and David Bowie as her page.


This Brings Back MemoriesThis Brings Back Memories

And it's fun to see it come out of the dark (haha, see what I did there?) and start catching the eye of the mainstream. McQueen and YSL, Rodarte and Rick Owens, took the Victorian Punk inspired details, the black and the velvet and the lace and played with them to give us some beautiful and unexpected results. 

This Brings Back Memories

I am more subdued in my love for it, as I can only be after my teenage overdose, but I do still feel the attraction of the style. And I mostly fall down that rabbit hole when it comes to the accessories and the shoes! 

Give me metal heels and lace details, give me shoes that scream "I will walk over you pastels and look banging while doing it" (yes, I am looking at you darling Alternative New Rocks, stop tempting me!) and headbands with veils and capes that would make Bela Lugosi proud.

This Brings Back Memories

In the end, it's hard for me not to be influenced by things I loved when at such a young age. I grew up and tried to not keep myself locked up in just one box but it's hard to let go of some things. Especially when those things have such great spokespersons, right Wednesday?

This Brings Back Memories

Wearing: Zara shirt, H&M jeans and socks, Bershka leather jacket, Nine West shoes.

*

32 comments:

Christina Marie said...

I love the skulls!

xx
www.naturally-christina.blogspot.com

Asan Leyla said...

you should watch Leverage. Amazing show <3

Anaivilo said...

You spoke so well of your teens, it's like you were talking about myself, how I used to be :D

Hannibal is indeed amazing! I am so hooked and yes, that man is simple mesmerizing!

Oh and how excited are you about Iron Man 3? I am counting the days!

Anonymous said...

you just described the wardrobe of my teen years. and i'm always going "I liked Pink Floyd/Rolling Stones/etc before they were mainstream" when I enter H&M or Primark :)

Miu Miu said...

De fiecare data cand intru pe blog, ma gandesc ce par frumos ai...

Ma tenteaza sa ma fac si eu culoarea asta :D


Kisses

shoeper-women.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Buna,

Ai cumva un blog unde sa iti las o invitatie?

nico

Unknown said...

I was looking for some topics that are enough popular and finally founded your blog, it has superb topics with great popularity. Designer lehenga

Unknown said...

Nice to care, nice to feel. It's the love that we give that makes us humans. Makes us better.

Alegerea unor jucarii inteligente pentru copiii nostri poate fi uneori o sarcina destul de dificila.

Unknown said...

I've got some tips on coffee
Caffe Latte
Cappuccino
how to make Americano Espresso
how to make Espresso Con Panna
Coffee Espresso Macchiato
Coffee Espresso coffee

Eliaz Beth said...

Likes enormously increase the attractiveness of one's site and utilizing the acceptable assortment count; lots of individuals will be considering your account. The firms which provide these providers, will provide you with non-automated or robot likes and provide you with reliable Instagram likes. buy instagram likes instantly
The nice make any difference about this is these are definitely quickly delivered to the account which signifies you don't have to show up at that noticeably. And when you're a tiny organization, increasing your Instagram likes could possibly be effective.

Haya said...

You described it very beautiful. your writing style grabbed my intentions,would love to read more about it… long frocks

Unknown said...

great look! wow...!
love your red hair! i always a big fans of red hair....
also nice outfits as well :)
enjoy reading your blog...
www.nadieyaagibb.com - Glam is Everything

Unknown said...

It's never too early to wear black:)

YoshaIkayo said...

Știam că curva a fost un laș, după toate

Something Real Serious said...

SUPER LOVE THE OUTFIT :)
anyway, would you like to follow each other on gfc/bloglovin and instagram?

NEW POST ON SRS BLOG

M&M FASHION BITES said...

Cool jacket :) M&MFASHIONBITES mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr
Maria V.

Marissa Abigail said...

Hello! Love your nail arts <3

Come check mine :)
WHITE JOURNAL by Marissa Abigail
www.marissaabigail.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

, I am delighted to see this post! I like the reflection in your photograph very much...


Trading In Mcx

Jimy said...

nice post

Mehmet said...

Kahveler kondu fincana, haber salın buyursun gelsin dostlara, birlikte içelim kahve hatırı kalsın yarınlara.

Belki de içtiğin her kahve güzeldir ama sevdiğinin elinden içtiğin ilk kahve çok özeldir.
Kahve ile ilgili Sözler

Unknown said...

Great article, Thanks for the tips.

Accountant Coffee Mug

Unknown said...

Obat Aborsi
Obat Aborsi Cytotec Asli
Jual Obat Aborsi Tuntas
https://lapakobataborsi.com/

Hotel MCM Towers said...

Nice post!
Rameswaram Hotels
Best Hotels in Rameswaram
Hotel Booking in Rameswaram
Rameswaram Hotel Booking
Rameswaram Room Booking
Hotel Rooms in Rameswaram
Hotels in Rameswaram

Hridoy Bhaii ☑️ said...

I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me. My Blog :Techlifeware.

beannar said...

I think you constantly have to be evaluating if what you’re doing is working, and if it’s not, changing what you’re doing to be doing morei offered to you to write article on my site top get show on top search as you guest post tips after you launch your blog and start typing away your content, you need to always focus on your target audience and their needs so that you can provide them with real value and quality because that is what will make your blog successful. Make sure you dive deeper into our blogging section and read it all as you will certainly find a lot of useful blogging tips.

jenifer sam said...

nice information you shared with us i offered to you to make its animation to inspire other people who are not from your desire field by this you can increase your traffic you may visit us TrueClassics to get some sample and visiting offers

blackcatservice said...

Good to view!Thanks for sharing this information.
security guard service provider in tuticorin
top 10 security services in tuticorin

SK said...

i am browsing this site daily and get nice facts from here all the time.

luckys said...

gta 5 apk
I've never played chess overseas before, so this was a new experience for me

bengop said...

انتخاب بهترین دستگاه لیزر موهای زائد به فاکتور های مختلفی بستگی دارد که یکی از این فاکتور ها، تیپ پوستی فرد می باشد که در این مقاله به آن اشاره کردیم. امروزه برای درمان بی خطر و موثر هر نوع پوستی لیزر متناسب با آن وجود دارد. اگر به دنبال حذف موهای زائد خود با لیزر هستید، بسیار مهم است که قبل از هر نوع درمان تحقیقات کافی انجام دهید. حتما با پزشک درباره ی نوع لیزری که استفاده می کند صحبت کنید تا اطمینان پیدا کنید که بهترین دستگاه لیزر مو به کار برده می رود تا بهترین نتیجه را برای شما داشته باشد. ( درباره ی لیزر بودن آن مطمئن شوید زیرا بسیاری از مراکز از آی پی ال به جای لیزر استفاده می کنند ).

touristha said...

جزیره کیش یا قشم

gillescoffeeblog said...

The USA’s oldest coffee enterprise; distributors of best quality hand-tended whole beans & custom blends. Serving fresh coffee direct to fine restaurants, coffee bars, private clubs, b&bs, specialty retailers throughout the land. single origin coffee