So close to being a quarter of a century old. My mother calls me "still annoyingly young" and my friends remind me I would have been a mother and toeing my grave 200 years ago. How can you not love birthdays in this situation? :))
Not dead! I'm sure that was the feeling my empty blog was giving but I am not dead, just ridiculously apathetic regarding anything that has to do with the online world. And regular world. But things are looking up in that "Holy cheerleader, Batman! What have I been doing with my life" sort of way that hits me every few months and makes me want to drown in lattes and chocolate cake.
(Also, it took me a month to figure out why the new Blogger interface hates me. Apparently it just hates my Mac, which isn't surprising because duh, Macs.)
A recap of the past months:
- I turned 24 and it was amazing because I got a surprise birthday party out of it (my friends > anything else)
- I started archery lessons because I am slave to pop culture trends (Hello Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, let me stare at your arms some more and hey to you too Miss Katniss Everdeen and that surprisingly violent to be a movie/book aimed at teenagers) and Krav Maga lessons because I am tiny and girly and afraid of being killed in dark alley someday (The most important lesson I learned: always kick the balls and if wearing heels just head straight for the kneecaps.)
- I finished my 5th year of medical school and that means that I have just one more year left before I will be deemed responsible enough to hold people's lives in my hands and WHAT?!
- Saw movies. A lot of movies. Maybe even too many movies? Yeah, right, like there's such a thing as too many. Favorites: The Avengers which I saw fives times in a row (Okay, maybe this is too many.)(If anyone wants to talk to me about a psychotic God of Chaos or Tony Stark and his loathing for himself and other Avengers feelings you know where to find me.); The Dark Knight Rises (The French Revolution meets Occupy Wallstreet meets Tom Hardy's beautiful back, yesssss!); Rock of Ages (so much kitch and when did music go from awesome to Bieber and why am I attracted to jean jackets again?!); and I forgot the rest but yay for movies!
- Tv shows still keep me occupied: Teen Wolf (which is bad then it turns good and the characters are amazing in fun but still, what is up with the name?), The Hour (Ben Whishaw's face and journalism and the KGB and Ben Whishaw's face), Girls (which is so bad, guys, so bad but I can't stop watching and really, if I wanted to see whiny middle-class privileged white girls whine I'd just look in the mirror) and The Newsroom (such a love/hate thing: I love the way Sorkin writes but the man is so delusional and so stuck up in his "I am a white man, hear me whine how my life is soooo hard" and really dude? Life was better 60 years ago when sexism and racism and ableism were the norm?! Not that things are different now, far from it, but at least I can now call you on your bullshit so go stuff it!)
- I was stuck in a rut. But now, I am not! (I think.) So yay!
And It's funny how my life can be summarized by what I watched but really, you wouldn't want to see me talk about other things because you'd end up smacking me upside the head. So welcome back to me, I might fall down the rabbit whole again so lets enjoy this pretty ride while it lasts :)
Birthdays with friends who I love so much it hurts sometimes and who join me in drinking alcohol and remising how awfully lame we were all in high school. I love life in moments like these.
Because The Boy knows me so well: his and hers XBox controllers. Now we can die together while playing Modern Warfare!
And my friends know me too well, it'd be scary if it wasn't flattering. (Many long nights have been spent with too many wine bottles while trying to master the drums in Bat Country.
New obsession: superhero inspired nails. Hello Iron Man!
Also, a new love for weekends and barbecues and for the privilege of having a backyard.
Books you should read: the Game of Thrones series (but only if you want to have your heart ripped out through your nose by the human troll known as George R.R. Martin), Boy Meets Boy (because being a teenager in love is beautiful and heartbreaking and exaggerated as only a teenager can be), Green River Running Red (for people who enjoy reading about serial killers as much as I do)(wow, way to sound creepy Anna), The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks (kick as girl fighting outdated gender norms and kicking ass!).
Things I also love: stealing The Boy's clothes. Things I love even more: the fact that he lets me.
Met up with Alice some more since my summer holiday started and it's been great. It's so nice to meet people with whom you can talk for hours. I love her and you should too!
Superhero nails part too: Deadpool. Because who doesn't love a psycho?
In case you were ever wondering how study groups work.
And hospital rotations are a wonder when you can escape for a quick coffee break on the hospital roof.
I look more badass than I actually am. (Can hit 50% of the targets and I am really good at killing random potted plants that had the bad luck of being in the same room as my target practice.)
Rule of thumb: the pointy end? Keep it away from any living being and you'll do great.
Now, let my real vacation begin: if I show no signs of life please look for me in Budapest where I will be either drunk on a lawn listening to Placebo live or at the zoo cooing over cute baby sloths. I love summer.
Song of the Day: Doomtree - String Theory